A Day in the Life of a Hungry Pregnant lady

I have never done one of these posts, but after asking you guys if you found “what I ate in a day and why” posts helpful, and reading the overwhelming “Yes” responses, I decided to do one: pregnancy edition.

Of course before I go on, here’s my shpeel about these types of posts:

One: what I eat (the foods and amounts) change from day to day based on my hunger, fullness, activity levels, cravings and environment. This day is ONE day only, and as I fully embrace intuitive eating, I have no set meal plan or regimen that I follow every single day.

Two: Even though I’m pregnant, that does not mean the amount I eat should be more than what say, you eat. In fact, some days I think I ate more before I was pregnant. My stomach seemed to have more room back then and constipation and heartburn weren’t ailments I suffered from… as opposed to now (TMI? ).

Caveat Three: If this post will encourage you, give you food ideas, and/or help you make peace with foods and normal eating, please read on. If, however, this post will cause you to compare, despair and feel guilty, please do what is best for you and skip it!!

Okay, I’m getting off my soap box now.

Yesterday, I was woken up by my favorite alarm (my 2 year old) at 5:45. By the time I dragged myself out of bed to get him a snack (“momma, I’m hungry, I’m hungry”) it was 6 am.

I’m always hungry right when I wake up, so I made myself a slice of buttered toast from this homemade wheat bread I baked the night before. It was so dense and delicious. Afterword I was still hungry so I shared an apple with my son. There is something so refreshing about an apple in the morning! (No?)

While Judah was watching morning cartoons (the solution for my sanity in the a.m.), I did my quiet time, and my husband made us pour-over coffees. I had mine black, more out of laziness then anything else, but I do like black coffee. However, I have to eat that toast or something else with it or else I’ve noticed the coffee can cause some stomach aches and even make my anxiety a little higher.

After Dwayne went to work and while Judah was still watching his cartoons, I decided it was a good time to do a prenatal workout. I love home workout videos on youtube: free, convenient and quick, plus it makes me feel good having other (virtual) people there moving with me. Yesterday I did this bodyweight workout, it was great. Except every pregnancy video I’ve done this week has had squats, plie squats and lunges. My legs needed a break today, so I ended up doing some restorative yoga ( so yummy ).

After the workout, around 8:45, I noticed myself getting hungry for a more substantial breakfast, plus, I knew I needed to refuel rather soon after moving my body. I whipped up a bowl of warm gooey oatmeal with bananas, PB, honey and milk. I cook the oatmeal in the microwave with water and banana slices to get them nice and soft, then I top with PB, honey and milk to cool it down.


I ate most of this bowl myself, but Judah helped out with a few bites of his own. Afterwards, I felt completely satisfied.

I got myself and Judah dressed and ready. My mother-in-law came in to watch Judah and I started working. Around 10:35 I started getting really hungry and distracted. Lately, I’ve been hungry about every 2 hours (sometimes 3), but in the mornings after I workout, I’m definitely hungry more often, so I’ve come to expect frequent meals and snacks. Plus, working on taxes and insurance stuff will burn some brain energy, so I stopped for a snack.

At first, I went for a kindbar, but took one bite and realized it wasn’t going to do it for me. So instead, I made a toasted turkey and swiss sandwich with mayo, mustard and pickles. As a bonus, I had a little kombucha left from the grocery store which added the perfect sweet and hydrating ending to my meal.


As 12:20 rolled around, I had to leave the house to go to the office and run some errands, I wasn’t really hungry at this point, but since I knew I wouldn’t be able to eat until 4, I reheated myself a bowl of shephard’s pie and ate it in the car.

Shephard’s pie is so easy to make and everyone in our house loves it. I made this the other night with leftover mashed potatoes on the bottom, ground beef cooked with onion on the second layer and cooked mixed frozen veggies on the third layer. I topped it all with cheddar cheese and baked it at 375 for 20 minutes before serving. We’ve been eating off the leftovers for the last two days, and it’s still great! I ate this bowl in the car with a chocolate hazelnut candy (yum).


By 1:20 I had run my errands and was noticing I was still really hungry. Because I grabbed a quick bowl of food for the road when I wasn’t completely hungry, I think I underestimated the amount of food I would need for lunch. I decided to grab some chik-fil-a waffle fries which sounded delicious (and were).

I got home from seeing some office clients at 4 pm and was really hungry! This seems to be my hungriest time of day. I used to really hate this about myself and tried to fight it, but that almost always resulted in me eating way more than normal at dinner and feeling out of control afterwards with snacks and ice cream and all the things. Now, I lean into this snack time and make it more of a meal. After all, I’m usually the one cooking dinner after work, and I need all the energy I can get for this endeavor (plus the bedtime routine for my son that comes afterward).

So, I ate a hodgepodge of things from around the house which required little cooking and sounded satisfying. This meal/snack included: one slice homemade bread with butter, an apple with twoish spoonfuls of almond butter (I do this thing where I eat the apple with a spoon and the almond-butter jar, spreading the almond butter on the apple before I take a bite, it’s fabulous). Afterwards I topped it all off with a Kindbar.

Around 5pm I was feeling really tired, so I tried to coax my son into watching a movie with me before his dad got home for dinner. We watched part of The Indian in the Cupbard on Netflix (one of my childhood favorites) and I made popcorn (total bribery for my son). I ended up eating a few handfuls of the popcorn and it stopped tasting like anything, plus I was fairly full and content by this point, so I left it.

After Dwayne got off work, we started on dinner together at about 6:15 (bless him). I had decided to make this easy and delicious black-eyed pea and wild rice soup recipe. My son and husband love it and it cooks in the pressure cooker (convenience!). Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I got the original recipe from, but here’s what we do:

  1. Turn the pressure cooker on the saute function. Chop up four slices of bacon and cook until well-cooked in the pressure cooker (at times when we don’t have bacon, I skip this and just heat up some olive oil in the bottom)

  2. Saute chopped onions and bell peppers for 5 minutes with bacon or olive oil (you can chop one of each or I buy a pack of frozen mixed to save time)

  3. Add 1 tsp cumin and 1 tbsp chilli powder and mix.

  4. Add 1 can drained black eyed peas, 1 cup wild rice (we have been using black rice because it’s so nutty and the boys like it), 1 can diced and fire roasted tomatoes and 32 oz. chicken or veggie broth.

  5. Add 1-2 cups spinach leaves and stir in.

  6. Turn pressure cooker to high pressure, put the lid on and lock and cook for 20 minutes.

  7. When done, top with parmesan cheese and serve


You’ll be surprised how good this is. It’s like a easier, different take on chili for the days when you just aren’t in the mood.

Okay, after we ate this (which was at like 7:15), we took our time getting Judah ready for bed and putting him down. Dwayne and I finished a movie we had started the other day and went to bed around 8:30 (yes, I am that old tired, pregnant lady who goes to sleep super early).

Today I woke up feeling pretty good! Now off to the store to grab groceries for our small group tonight!

Hope you guys enjoyed this. Until next time, stay nourished: body, soul and spirit!